Pike County

Statehouse News Bureau

It’s been five months since eight members of the Rhoden family in Pike County were killed while sleeping in their beds.
 

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine says his team is getting leads as it investigates the execution-style murders. And he is appealing to people who he says know more about the crime.

Sam Hendren / 89.7 NPR News

WAVERLY, Ohio (AP) - The Ohio attorney general says whoever killed eight members from the same family in southern Ohio were familiar with the victims, their homes and the surrounding area.

Sam Hendren / 89.7 NPR News

A newspaper is suing a southern Ohio county over access to the preliminary autopsy results of eight relatives who were slain three months ago.

Pike County Crime Scenes To Be Moved

May 12, 2016
Sam Hendren, WOSU Radio

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine and Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader said today the homes where eight members of the Rhoden family were killed last month will be moved in order to preserve the crime scenes.

It’s expected to take several days to move the four mobile homes in which family members lived to the investigation command center in Waverly.

Again, today, the two law enforcement officials asked anyone with knowledge or video that could assist with the investigation to contact the Bureau of Criminal Investigation.

Sam Hendren, WOSU News

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said there will be "ample security" at the funeral for six of the eight people shot and killed in what authorities are calling a planned attack targeting one family. 

The Ohio Attorney General's office and the Pike County Sheriff say investigators worked through the weekend collecting evidence and conducting interviews in the Rhoden Family murder case.

They say more than 100 pieces of evidence have been sent to the crime lab and more than 450 tips have been received.

Reader says more than 128 witness interviews have been conducted in the search for a killer or killers.

In the meantime, funerals for six members of the Rhoden family are scheduled for tomorrow in West Portsmouth. Two other victims were buried last week.

Sam Hendren, WOSU Radio

Amid extra security, a funeral has been held for one of eight people shot in rural southern Ohio in what authorities describe as a cold-blooded massacre targeting one family.

The gathering Thursday in South Shore, Kentucky, for 38-year-old Gary Rhoden is the first of three planned funerals for the victims. A funeral home says the Greenup, Kentucky, man would be buried in South Shore, across the Ohio River from Portsmouth.

Seven adults and a 16-year-old boy from the Rhoden family were found dead April 22 at four properties near Piketon, about 80 miles east of Cincinnati.

Pike County Killer(s) Remain On The Loose

Apr 24, 2016

   PIKETON, Ohio (AP) - The latest on the slayings of members of a southern Ohio family.

Sam Hendren / WOSU

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine confirms seven people died "in what appears to be execution-style killings" in Pike County. 

Pages