Connor Betts | WOSU Radio

Connor Betts

Private funeral services have been scheduled for the 24-year-old gunman responsible for a mass shooting in Dayton’s Oregon District, and his 22-year-old sibling, who was one of the victims.

On Monday, the Betts family published obituaries for their only children on a Bellbrook funeral home’s website. The family described their son as "funny, articulate, and intelligent."  The obituary was removed Wednesday and replaced with a statement from the family: 

A pedestrian passes a makeshift memorial for the slain and injured victims of a mass shooting that occurred in the Oregon District in Dayton, Ohio.
John Minchillo / Associated Press

The parents of the Dayton gunman have apologized for the wording in his obituary that didn't mention the mass shooting that left nine dead, including his younger sibling.

A pedestrian passes a makeshift memorial for the slain and injured victims of a mass shooting that occurred in the Oregon District in Dayton, Ohio.
John Minchillo / Associated Press

Investigators are split on whether the Dayton shooter intentionally killed his sibling, who was one of the first people he killed, the city's police chief said Tuesday.

This undated photo provided by the Dayton Police Department shows Connor Betts. The 24-year-old masked gunman in body armor opened fire early Sunday, Aug. 4, 2019 in Dayton's Oregon District.
Dayton Police Department

A friend of the Dayton gunman who killed nine people told federal agents he bought him body armor, a gun accessory and a 100-round magazine earlier this year, according to a court document unsealed Monday.

There’s still more to know about the 24-year-old who gunned down nine people, including his 22-year-old sibling Megan, outside Ned Peppers Bar in the Oregon District Sunday. More than thirty others were injured. While authorities are still investigating, many in the Miami Valley are simply asking why this deadly shooting took place.

The gunman lived with his family in Bellbrook, where Kristine Hodson-Gainey lives, too. She talks about the Dayton suburb she calls home.

The family of the 24-year-old man who shot and killed nine people on Sunday, outside Ned Peppers bar in the Oregon District has released a statement.

Bellbrook Police Chief, Doug Doherty read the statement to the press near a street blockade set up about three houses away from where the Betts family lives in Bellbrook.

In the statement read by Doherty, the Betts family said they "shocked and devastated by the events of Sunday morning in the Oregon District," and that they are cooperating with the Dayton Police Department and the FBI investigation.

FBI Opens Investigation Into Dayton Mass Shooting

Aug 6, 2019
Andy L / Flickr

The shooter who killed nine people in Dayton, Ohio, had expressed a desire to commit a mass shooting and showed an interest in violent ideology, investigators said Tuesday as the FBI announced it is opening an investigation.

This undated photo provided by the Dayton Police Department shows Connor Betts. The 24-year-old masked gunman in body armor opened fire early Sunday, Aug. 4, 2019 in Dayton's Oregon District.
Dayton Police Department

High school classmates of the gunman who killed nine people early Sunday in Dayton, say he was suspended for compiling a "hit list" of those he wanted to kill and a "rape list" of girls he wanted to sexually assault.