Over 3,600 Ohioans Reached Out To Governor After Dayton Shooting

Sep 19, 2019

More than 3,600 people have written letters, emails and made phone calls to Gov. Mike DeWine in the month following the deadly mass shooting in Dayton.

The Columbus Dispatch reports many of those contacting DeWine have personal connections to the August 4 shooting in which the gunman killed nine people, including his sibling, and left more than two dozen injured.

DeWine's office says nearly 2,600 of 3,098 emails encouraged new gun restrictions. The office categorized more than 500 other emails as having "pro-Second Amendment" sentiments.

DeWine spokesman Dan Tierney says the governor doesn't read the notes, but staff members do.

Two days after the shooting, the Republican governor outlined a plan he already had been developing. The 17-point plan includes expanding background checks, increasing mental health aid, and passing a version of a “red flag” law.

An Ohio Senate committee this week held hearings on multiple pieces of gun legislation, although they differ from the restrictions DeWine proposed.