E. Dublin-Granville Road and Maple Canyon Drive have topped Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission's list of the top 100 High-Crash Intersections in Central Ohio. The rankings not only take into account the number of crashes, but also their severity and the rate of crashes per vehicles that go through.
Kerstin Carr, MORPC director of planning & environment, says 62 percent of crashes happened in just 10 corridors, most of which are high-volume, multi-lane roadways like Morse Road and Cleveland Avenue, which appears multiple times on the list.
Carr says that they send the data to local governments to help them craft solutions.
"When you look at the list and the comments that our local governments have given us, is that a lot has been done from an engineering standpoint at those intersections," Carr says. "But it's a really good reminder that maybe we need to be better about being attentive drivers."
Thirteen locations dropped off the list from last year, but the total number of crashes has increased. Carr says distracted driving and increased cell phone use may be to blame.
Carr says while engineered solutions like roundabouts help reduce the severity of crashes, drivers need to understand them for them to be useful.
"Within Central Ohio, we will certainly see an increase in roundabouts, but we need to make sure that we continue the education around how to safely go through a roundabout as well."
Here are the top 10 high-crash intersections in Central Ohio:
- Dublin Granville Road/SR 161 @ Maple Canyon Drive
- Broad Street/SR 16 @ James Road
- E. Livingston Avenue @ Hamilton Road/SR 317
- Morse Road @ Karl Road
- Hilliard Rome Road @ Renner Road
- Frank Road/SR 104/Refugee Road @ Winchester Pike
- Cleveland Avenue @ Dublin Granville Road/SR 161
- Broad Street/SR 16 @ Lancaster Avenue/Reynoldsburg-New Albany Road
- E. Livingston Avenue @ Brice Road
- Cleveland Avenue @ Innis Road