The Federal Communications Commission has granted the Dayton Daily News’ owner more time to find a new buyer. The extension could keep the newspaper operating seven days per week.
The future of the paper has been in question since last year when a private equity firm bought Cox Media Group’s Ohio newspaper, radio and TV stations.
Soon after the Cox Media Group purchase, Apollo Global Management said it would cut publication of the Dayton Daily News to three days per week.
The announcement sparked an immediate outcry from many Daytonians.
Shelly Hulce spoke at a City Commission meeting Wednesday night and says she’s afraid people could lose their primary news source.
"It’s just a news desert, another news desert that’s popped up, which is pretty common right now. Folks are just not going to know what’s happening in their own backyard," Hulce says. "It’s really scary."
At the meeting downtown, commissioners approved an informal resolution calling on Apollo and Cox to find a way to keep the Dayton Daily News daily.
Mayor Nan Whaley says she wants Apollo to be more transparent about its plans for the newspaper.
"We have to be vigilant, and we expect the folks at Apollo to communicate with this community about what their plans are because, quite frankly, they’ve been pretty quiet about what their actions are. And in addition to this resolution, I think that’s what this body is demanding."
For now, the future of the Dayton Daily News remains uncertain. Apollo reports seeing interest from a handful of potential buyers.
The company has until mid-March to sell the paper.