As part of the latest round of corporate responses to COVID-19, Columbus-based L Brands announced Tuesday that they are temporarily closing stores across the country.
The company said that all Bath & Body Works, Victoria’s Secret and PINK stores in the United States and Canada would be closed effective immediately through March 29, impacting 80,000 workers.
The company noted these individuals would still receive pay and benefits during this time.
L Brands also asked all home office associates to work remotely if possible. Locally, the brand has a workforce of more than 8,000 and is the 10th largest employer in the region.
JP Morgan Chase and Nationwide, the fourth and fifth largest employers in the region, have also started to ask employees to work remotely.
Meanwhile, on Monday, Amazon announced that it is seeking 100,000 employees nationwide, including those for Ohio's distribution centers, to fill record demand for the e-retailer's products. They are also raising hourly wages.
The Ohio Department of Health makes the following recommendations to protect yourself from illness:
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; dry hands with a clean towel or air dry hands.
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer when soap and water are unavailable.
- Cover your mouth with a tissue or sleeve when sneezing or coughing. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
Ohio's coronavirus call center is open to answer questions from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily. The hotline number is 1-833-4-ASK-ODH or 1-833-427-5634.