Cigarette Cause of Massive South Side Fire | WOSU Radio

Cigarette Cause of Massive South Side Fire

May 15, 2015

Columbus fire investigators say a massive South Side fire earlier this month was started by a discarded cigarette butt.

Fire Captain. Jeff Martin, says investigators reached that conclusion after interviewing employees and reviewing video.

Employees told investigators that, in violation of company policy, they had been smoking on the property shortly before the fire was discovered.

The four-alarm blaze a  611 Marion Rd., took hours to control as paper, plastic and wooden pallets were engulfed in flames. The fire could be seen for miles.