In Response To Lawsuit, Columbus Police Deny Use Of Excessive Force

Jan 18, 2018

Columbus city attorneys are denying that police officers used improper force when they arrested Timothy Davis last year in an incident captured on video.

In response to a federal lawsuit from Davis, the city says in a court filing that he was wanted on warrants for violent crimes when they encountered him in a Columbus convenience store.

Columbus says Davis resisted arrest, and denied allegations that officers tried to block bystanders from filming the arrest.

Video of the September 1 encounter appeared to show multiple officers kicking and punching Davis while yelling profanities at him, as he seems to ignore instructions to put his hands behind his back. At one point, Davis’ pants and boxers get pulled down.

Davis' lawsuit against the city accused Columbus Police of a pattern of excessive force against black residents, and says Columbus conducts "sham" internal investigations involving officers accused of excessive force. The city denies that allegation.

The city's filing last week also acknowledged remarks by officer Joseph Bogard at the scene were “inappropriate.” Bogard was temporarily removed from patrol duties after saying he would “choke the life” out of Davis.

But the city says Bogard wasn't involved in the arrest and the city's not liable for inappropriate comments. Bogard returned to duty in October after being given a written reprimand from Chief Kim Jacobs.

The City of Columbus, Columbus Police, officer Matthew Baker and Bogard are all named as defendants in the lawsuit.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.